This blog main purpose is as a journal/writing exercise!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Option Paralysis

I was reading an article earlier about how our ability to make choices directly affects the amount of pleasure we derive from our subsequent decision. This idea, although in need of some personal tweaking, made a lot of sense to me. As I peruse the endless libraries of books and music in search of perfection, I assign to certain authors and genres meaningless negatives. "Country sucks ass", "Stephen King is a cook", or "Anything on the radio isn't worth my time".This is how, I, the evolutionarily hardwired survivor, have to find a way to cope in this world of over abundance where starvation of product has ceased to exist (not speaking globally here people). The meaningless consignment of vast quantities of potential choices to the garbage bin is simply how I manage keep from becoming mired in the never ending torrent of options. It's a tragic consequence of being part of the 21st century generation. I can only imagine how many times the wide swath of my oblivious and often unguided fancy has cleaved through some rare  species of musician or overlooked some hidden alcove of a short story. All this in the sake of progress, I exclude irrationally if only to spare my sanity.
I 'm left to wonder if I will ever regret my reckless disregard of variety. Will I one day look back and see the trampled corpse of a beautiful piece of art, the boot print of my progress outlined against its back, mocking my frenzied rush towards the seclusion of scarcity... I'm inclined to believe that I won't. It's a battle of attrition It seems. I seriously doubt that I'll ever have the leisure to steal a glance backwards and even if I did, the trail would have long over grown and carpeted any trace of the abused or ignored beauty that I let slip. Therefore, I am left with two obvious choices: Become overwhelmed by the infinitely growing set of choices or create mental filters which weed out the parameters without discretion. I choose the later, and I will continue to try and tweak and manipulate the filter through which I view my world to try and find the optimal setting which allows the majority of useless detritus to be filtered out of the mixture. This will leave me with a concentrated, untainted, and reduced concoction, one which will be much more manageable and profitable, in regards to happiness that is.

At least that's the theory

1 comment: